Open Source Infrastructure Engineer: Pangeo Project
We are looking for an Open Source Infrastructure Engineer who will help shape the future of data-intensive scientific research and make a big impact on important problems shaping society. This engineer will lead the development and operation of cloud-based infrastructure, focusing on the Pangeo Project - a community platform for big data geoscience.
- Location: Anywhere - this is a fully-remote position.
- Position: Full-time
- Salary: $110,000-130,000 + benefits
Who we are
2i2c is a non-profit organization with a mission to make interactive computing more accessible, scalable, and powerful for research and education. We strive to…
- Support data workflows in research and education through infrastructure for interactive computing.
- Support open tools and communities that underlie this infrastructure.
We accomplish this mission by providing managed cloud services for interactive computing, by providing development and technical leadership to researchers and educators that utilize this infrastructure for specific communities, and by providing support for open source tools and communities in this ecosystem.
We have deep ties to the open source community, and have been leaders and core contributors across dozens of projects - in particular in the Jupyter ecosystem. We also have deep ties to research and education - our team has spent years deploying infrastructure for universities, community colleges, and research teams, and now we’re bringing this experience to a wider audience with 2i2c.
We believe strongly in communities that are inclusive, transparent, equitable, effective, and diverse, especially 2i2c itself. We believe that our values should permeate everything about 2i2c, including the work we do, the communities we serve, and our own organizational culture.
2i2c is a project of the International Computer Science Institute, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit.
What you’ll do
You will define the overall strategy and technical approach to cloud computing usage in Pangeo, and will interface with the Pangeo community on a frequent basis. You will help deploy, customize, and operate cloud infrastructure for research and interactive computing. You’ll use the experience operating this infrastructure to identify development opportunities, with the goal of minimizing maintenance time and toil - your goal will be to spend more time developing and less time operating. You will contribute to the general development and maintenance of open source software packages for the advancement of scientific objectives, and develop applications for extracting, transforming, loading, managing, and cataloging scientific data in the cloud. You will engage and interact with open source communities surrounding the tools that you use in serving the Pangeo community, and will represent 2i2c in these engagements. You will also collaborate with scientists to support research projects, and may conduct some education and training around scientific computing.
- Develops strategy and technical design for cloud computing architecture within the Pangeo project and related projects with 2i2c.
- Assists with site reliability for Pangeo infrastructure, and uses experience operating this infrastructure to identify new opportunities for development.
- Ensures the reliable operation of production cloud-based tools including JupyterHub / JupyterLab and Dask.
- Participates in the upstream open source communities we rely on (such as JupyterHub, Dask, etc) by contributing code, documentation, etc as needed.
- Develops dashboards and reports to quantify system usage and costs.
- Helps to maintain and operate Pangeo Gallery, an interactive showcase for data science projects based on binder and github workflows.
- Conducts education and outreach around cloud computing.
- Explores emerging technologies in the cloud / DevOps space.
- Travels to conferences and workshops (once COVID-19 restrictions end).
- Will work with minimal supervision from leadership at 2i2c in partnership with collaborators at Columbia and the Pangeo project. Will work independently and make their own decisions about where to best allocate effort.
- Familiarity with deploying applications on cloud infrastructure.
- Experience developing tools in a general purpose programming language (eg. Python)
- Experience deploying and developing with Linux container technologies, such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with continuous integration services (e.g. Travis CI, GitHub workflows)
- Experience building and deploying backend web services.
- Experience collaborating and coordinating work via online platforms, such as GitHub, GitLab, or BitBucket, and distributed revision control.
- Experience working on geographically distributed open-source projects
- Experience in programming and software engineering with a track record of leadership in open, collaborative projects with broad community adoption
- Experience with cloud infrastructure for data-driven workflows.
- Experience with the Jupyter ecosystem of tools for interactive computing
- Evidence of existing connections and relationships in the worldwide ecosystem of open source software for data-intensive research and ability to establish new ones.
- Experience with common data science methods, platforms, workflows, and infrastructures; with data management systems, practices, and standards; and the capacity to gain familiarity with new related topics
- Experience engaging with highly technical researchers across a variety of methodological fields, research domains, and computational platforms
- Experience building and maintaining continuous deployment pipelines
- Interpersonal skills to work with researchers and students. Include having skills to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing
Our commitment to equal opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. We will provide reasonable accommodation to an employee or job applicant with a disability.
How to apply
Please send an email to jobs+OSIEfirstname.lastname@example.org with the following information.
- A copy of your resume.
- A short statement about why you believe you’re a good fit for 2i2c, and for this position.
- Examples of your work (either public or private) that you believe shows that you are a good fit.
- Your preferred work location.
Salary & Benefits
We pay competitively (at San Francisco rates) for all of its positions, regardless of your geographic location or cost of living. Salaries are based entirely on job title along with discrete levels of experience within that job title. We also offer a generous benefits package for US-based employees.
See our Salary and Benefits page for more information.